PE in primary schools is changing. As you will know, there has been a lot of research and publicity focusing on the inactivity of children in recent years. This has resulted in a new National Curriculum which will allow us to be more flexible and teach PE in new and exciting ways.
Our new curriculum will focus on equipping children with the skills to take part in a wide range of sports and ensuring that every child has the opportunity to compete in sport within the school.
We want to give children a positive experience of PE and equip them with the skills and confidence to continue to be active throughout high school and beyond.
What you can do to help your child to be more active.
All children should be physically active for at least one hour a day. You can help by encouraging your child to find activities they enjoy, and by building physical activity into family life.
Physical activity is a part of the way children discover the world and themselves. It helps to build strong muscles and healthy bones, as well as improving self-confidence. By helping to keep your child active for one hour a day, you are giving them a great chance at living a long and healthy life.
At primary school, it is vital that we equip children with the key skills required to take part in sport. To help us to achieve this goal, we need your help. By working on these skills at home, you will give your child the confidence to shine in PE lessons. Playing simple games involving running, jumping, balance, throwing and catching, for just an hour a day, can greatly improve your child’s physical wellbeing and can help them to mentally focus on other activities.
This is just the start of the journey to improve the physical education of your child; by working together we can ensure that they grow up to enjoy a healthy and active life.
Wow - what a busy half term we have had! We are extremely proud of all of the children who have represented The Berkeley so far this year!
Here are the results from the competitions that we have entered:
- Key Stage 2 Cross Country - 24 children entered this event and we were the overall winners!
- Key Stage 2 Rugby - 3 teams entered and we were the overall winners. We will now go to the County Finals.
- Girls Football - Winners - we are looking forward to the County finals.
- Sportshall Athletics - Both our year 5/6 and 3/4 teams won our area so we will be competing in the Crewe&Nantwich final next term.
- Year 5/6 Football - Quarter Finals.
- Key Stage 2 Hockey - 4 teams entered - Year 3/4 finished 1st and Year 5/6 finished 1st and 2nd in their groups.
- Year 5/6 Girls Football - Overall winners! We will now compete in the County Finals.
- Year 1/2 Football - we finished 3rd
Well done to all of the teams and thank you to all of the supportive parents, we couldn't do this without you!
Next term we have netball, football, dodgeball, girls football and sports hall athletics to look forward to!